Tuesday, October 23, 2012

"Lemon Lava Cake"


This recipe is for a dear friend who lives in Ireland.....this one is for you Wilma!

This was a recent "find" on Pinterest.  I am constantly blown away by the shear numbers of recipes and great looking food.  I probably could start now making everything I've saved so far on various boards of I've created and NEVER even make a dent in the collection before I assume room temperature.....hooray for Pinterest - go take a look!

Lemon Lava Cake
 Photo of it being served on the plate.

 How it looked when it came out of the oven.

This is so incredibly easy and tasty!

Time needed
10 min preparation + 55 min cooking
Serving Size / Yield
12 servings
Ingredients
    1 box lemon cake mix & ingredients
    2 boxes instant lemon pudding
    2 C. cold milk
    1/3 C. sugar
    1 1/4 C. water
    3 Tbs. lemon juice
    Powdered sugar, for dusting

Directions

 Prepare cake mix as directed on package.
(I had a white cake mix which called for beating the egg whites - nope, wasn't going to do that so I just added two whole large eggs.)

 Pour cake mix into greased 13x9 baking dish.

 Combine dry pudding, milk, sugar, lemon juice, and water in bowl.

 Whisk together for 2 minutes until well combined and slightly thickened.

 Pour pudding mixture over top of cake mixture. Do not spread it
  
Place baking dish on top of cookie sheet to catch any drips while cooking. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes to 1 hour.
        
 Allow to cool for 20 minutes while sauce thickens slightly. Sprinkle top of cake with powdered sugar.

I can visualize this cake in many different reincarnations - chocolate cake and vanilla pudding; white cake and chocolate pudding; strawberry with maybe vanilla - you get the idea - pick your favorite favors and have fun with it.

I found that the cake is really good warm but I have to confess I ate some of it right out of the refrigerator w/o heating the next night.  Richard liked it with heavy cream over it - nothing like "gilding the lily" as they say - makes my stomach roll over but then whipped cream, cool whip or something like or maybe even ice cream would be outstanding!

Anyway, you decide how you want to eat it because it's good either way.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment