Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy Fourth of July and Watermelon Pico De Gallo!

"Watermelon Pico De Gallo"


Chopped watermelon chunks

1/2 watermelon cubed
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 can corn, drained and rinsed
1 bunch of Cilantro, chopped 
1 green pepper (or substitute cucumbers)
2-3 limes, juiced
1 JalapeƱo, deseeded and chopped
(if you want it spicy, then leave the seeds)
salt and pepper to taste


I will admit that this was not a recipe that I dreamed up all by myself.  I've made Pico De Gallo for decades with fresh chopped tomatoes but NEVER thought about making it using watermelon.  I was watching the Pioneer Woman with Ree Drummond one day last week, which by the way, I've become a huge fan of, and she made this Pico with the watermelon.  Wow, now that was a new idea and it just so happened that I had a watermelon in the refrigerator!  I was off and running........

Not quite red, white & blue for the 4th, more like red, green and yellow but certainly delicious!  



The recipe called for green bell peppers, besides all the rest of the ingredients listed here, but I did not have any on hand but I did have the watermelon plus these lovely small cucumbers.  I decided they would work so I quartered 3 cukes and chopped fairly small.

I then chopped 1/2 red onion, drained and rinsed a can of corn and added to the mix plus a whole bunch of chopped cilantro.  Added the juice from three limes - you might like more or less so squeeze, stir and taste.

I didn't have any fresh Jalapenos on hand either but I do keep those babies in my freezer all year long for when I might need one.  Yes, you can freeze them whole and keep in a jar or a sealed bag for many months.  I removed one from my jar, cut off the top, cut in half length-wise, removed the seeds and  chopped into fine pieces.

I added salt and pepper to taste and stirred again and tasted.  I do use sea salt and fresh ground pepper.  I grind the pepper in my small coffee grinder (see posting else where on this blog) and then add it to this glass jar with a very tight fitting lid. The pepper tastes and smells fresh for weeks in these jars (a Walmart find) so I don't have to be grinding pepper every time I need some.  The salt I use is Celtic Sea Salt which I buy in 5 pound sacks from Amazon.

I did add some chopped garlic but I wouldn't do that again - too strong but it was still very tasty.  I just think the garlic would be better left out.


Final "Watermelon Pico De Gallo" finished after it was stirred up.  I served it as a side dish, rather than a garnish, with smoked chicken breasts.  It was delicious and plenty to eat!

After posting this recipe I discovered that Ree has also posted this on her website today.  If you wish to see more photos, and most definitely better ones than mine, then go to her website at:  http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2013/06/watermelon-pico-de-gallo/

Check out Ree's other great recipes while you are there!

Hope you all have a safe and fun Fourth of July!

1 comment: